The Open Source Digital Voting Foundation is a 501(c)(3) tax exempt California public benefit corporation. The Foundation’s operations are managed by two Co-Executive Directors, overseen by a seven person Board of Trustees. The work of the Foundation’s efforts are performed with guidance from the Foundation’s Board of Advisers.
The operational activities and responsibilities of the Foundation consist principally of:
- Stewarding the TrustTheVote Project and the OSDV Technology Trust Repository to establish and maintain a freely available, publicly owned elections and voting systems and services infrastructure;
- Providing clear, neutral, and sustainable public ownership of design specifications, request for comments documentation, draft standards, software code, hardware architecture, patents, and other intellectual properties related to elections and voting systems;
- Providing operational support for the TrustTheVote Project stakeholder community, a group of States’ and local jurisdictions’ elections officials and other non-governmental domain experts who collaborate in TrustTheVote Project activities with input to and feedback on design specifications of voting and election systems solutions;
- Providing public and government outreach to raise awareness, increase knowledge, and catalyze contribution and participation in this large scale digital public works project;
- Providing public education on the need for publicly-owned elections and voting systems and services infrastructure;
- Catalyzing consideration of America’s voting systems and services as “critical democracy infrastructure;” and
- Raising public funding contributions and establishing an endowment to continue the work of the Foundation and the projects it supports to advance the cause and mission of its non-profit charter.
For more detailed information on the Foundation’s structure and operation, please see (or request) our Charter (pdf), Bylaws (pdf), IRS 1023 Filing (pdf), and information about the Staff and Management Team, and Board of Trustees.